Holiday Shopping Online
Here are some useful tips for any holiday shopping you may be doing online this year.
Secure Online Shopping 101
- Use complex and different passwords on the websites you shop.
- Enter personal information only on reputable websites with “https” or a lock in the address bar.
- Update or install internet security software.
- Use a secure home network when shopping or checking bank statements. Free WiFi can’t be trusted.
- Ensure fraud protection is in place if using a third-party payment provider.
Buyers Be Aware
- Follow up with the retailer if you don’t receive an email confirming your purchase.
- If the deal sounds unbelievable, it probably is, so don’t click on those links in emails or on social media, and don’t reply to text messages or provide information over the phone.
- “Phishing” emails bait you to share information. These emails may appear to be coming from a trusted source, but reputable businesses don’t ask for your personal information via email.